Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Africa Adventure: Mega Fest, Lock down, and trophy thief

It's crazy to think that I've already been out of the country for 3 months now. I only have a couple weeks left here in Uganda, so I'm trying to make the best of it! Last Saturday we had our AIDS Mega Festival. There was lots of entertainment that the local primary and secondary schools provided, as well as free HIV testing. We were able to test over a hundred people for HIV! They all turned out negative, with the exception of one. I would call that a success. Unfortunately, the team had to perform our African dance to the whole crowd. It didn't go as badly as i had anticipated so that's a plus. The best part about the dance was wearing the awesome traditional clothing. This pretty much consisted of a wrap and some hairy thing that sat on my bum to make it look bigger when I shook it. I thought I did a pretty good job all natuurall, but apparently my bum wasn't quite big enough. Who knew. My boys came to the festival all decked out in their new jersey's. They looked so smart (in uganda looking smart is the equivalent to looking good, fashionable).
This week started off with a bang. Quite literally. For those of you who haven't heard, Kampala, the capital of Uganda, was bombed the night of the world cup finals. A restaurant, and a rugby field were bombed. People were gathered at these locations watching the game. The rugby field had the most casualties because more people were present watching the game outdoors on a big screen. The scary thing is, I probably would have been at that field if I was in Kampala. I was at a restaurant myself watching the game with my friends. So far there have been a little over 70 casualties, one of the victims being an American. The terrorist group who set off the bombs are from Somalia. They have come out saying that Uganda, Burundi, and Ethiopia are there enemies. I guess all three of these countries have soldiers in Somalia trying to keep the terrorists from ruling the country. Uganda has the most soldiers there, making us the most wanted target. Two more bombs were found and apprehended in Kampala since the bombings. Monday morning I woke up to the news. The whole team was put on lock down for the entire day. It was quite a boring day, but to be honest I didn't want to leave the house anyway. I was pretty terrified. Church Head Quarters even put all the missionaries on lock down. We're all safe and as of now, we are not being evacuated out of the country. Keep your prayers with us. I have a feeling everything will turn out. I'm just glad I don't have much longer here, because technically we're in the middle of a war.
On a much lighter note, the boys had their championship game this week. By this time they had shut out every team they played, so I was sure the other team had no chance. To no surprise, the game started about two hours late. Mostly, because the coaches were fighting with each other over which boys were too big to play and which boys were not students. The other coach was quite corrupt to say the least. They were up 1-0 the first half, but then it was tied up 1-1 second half when the ref called a PK. Ughh. The game ended and went straight into PK's. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay long enough to watch the very ending because it was already passed curfew by the time the PK's started. By the time we left, the boys were already crying because they missed a couple goals and were sure to lose. However, the next day we heard that they are scheduled for a rematch because the coach from the other team ran off with the trophy before the game ended. What? Good news for our boys I guess. I don't know if they'll get a trophy, but at least they'll be able to play again. That's Africa for ya.
This week I've been working really hard to get these boys sponsored, and I've had some positive prospects. So keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Alex, I love reading your blog! I miss Lugazi so much! I'm so glad to hear the boys are doing well! They are so great! It is so hard being in your last week there! Have a great last week! Good luck! I can't await to talk about Lugazi with you when you come back!

    ReplyDelete