To start, how was everyone's Fourth of July!? Who knew I would be celebrating the fourth in Africa? On Sunday most of the team traveled to the US embassy for a fourth of July party. It was absolutely fantastic. There was a barbecue and live entertainment. I haven't seen so many white people in so long! I felt like i was back in the states. There was a fake tattoo table and everything! Somehow I ended up being assigned to tattoo artist for all the kids who live at the embassy. At 8:00 the embassy gave the most spectacular fire work show. Afterward we all got up on the stage and had a dance party. Definitely a Fourth to remember. Last weekend I also went on a hike in the rain forest here, called the Mabira Forest. Five of us girls decided to hike it alone, with the accompaniment of my pocket knife of course. Then we decided against that and invited our guard to come with us. Great fun in the forest consists of a picnic lunch of smashed bananas, peanut butter, rolls, and huge ants that eat people.
This week has been quite successful. Tuesday I met with 16 carpenters and taught them the back program. I can't believe how much easier it is to tell a man to flex his stomach than it is to tell a woman to do it. Probably because that's what these men are doing all day; hangin out on the streets flexing their abs at the white girls as they walk down the street... These guys were really great though. They were so inquisitive and responsive. When they ask questions, that's when I know they're actually paying attention and trying to understand. i'm meeting with them next week to follow up with them, and see if they have progressed with their exercises I taught them. The musana women are moving along wonderfully with the back program. I asked each of them what kind of differences they have seen in their lives since we've started. Most said they don't have back pain anymore, one said that she can walk many kilometers now and play sports, and others said they feel more fit. It is such a blessing to see the effects the back program has made on these people's lives. I'm s lucky I have the opportunity to see some of the results.
I have made so much progress with the soccer team. I love these boys so much. Sometimes it's hard balancing being a friend, a coach, and a mother to the young boys all at the same time, but I do love every minute I get to spend with them. Last week we dug up he soccer field. After breaking a shovel and a hoe we were able to destory those huge termite mounds. It was a great bonding experience between us and the boys. The boys had to improvise getting the dirt off the field but they did their part. It looks so great. I think we all are grateful that we won't be falling over those things again. Practice this week went a little chaotic but they made up for it during their tournament on thursday. It took about 4 hours for the games to actually start. Because when it rains in Uganda, life stops. The boys were troopers though. I snuck them some corn we were given from the teachers lounge with the hopes of giving them an extra advantage. Food in the stomach is usually benficial for young athletes. Well it worked. They were awesome!!! They won 5-0! They make me so proud. The tournament is not over but I'm sure they'll go all the way. After practice on wednesday We gave a motivational lesson to the boys about how to accomplish their goals. We wrote a brief biography about Obama and read it to them. it was really unexpected, but Obama was a great topic for them to relate to. Everyone here already idolizes him, and it was convenient that hisstory matches most of the boys here. After his parents divorced at a young age, his Dad went back to Kenya. Obama never saw his father again until right before he died, when Obama was 18. His mom died as well, leaving Obama to be raised by his grandparents. I really hope these boys took this story to heart. I hope they understand that they can aqccomplish anything with the hard work they put forth. I finally got the proposal finished I wrote in order for the boys to get sponsored. Next week I'll be going around to the local businesses and banks to see if anyone is willing to join a noble cause.
Today we planted 10 gardens for a group of 43 HIV postive men and women. They are so wonderful and hard working. We transplanted cabbage, onions, green peppers, andNakati. The little seedlings were so cute; I just hope they survive. I think they will keep it up.
This weekend our group will be performing in front of hundreds of people attending the AIDS Festival this weekend. I hope our sad African dancing skills will hold up throughout the day. Wish me luck!



HAHA! You would be assigned to draw tatoos on everyone! You have expereince of course :) Miss you tons, but I'm happy you are doing so well. Keep up the good work!!!
ReplyDelete