Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Africa Adventure: The Bad Place, cat food for lunch, back programs

Hey Guys,
So i feel like every week just gets better and better. Last week was quite productive. I was able to present my first back program. I created this back program with the help of the physical therapist at the hospital. I realized that there is a huge back problem among the women here in Uganda because of their life-style. Everyone here is bent over all day long washing dishes, cooking, washing laundry, showering, lifting heavy cans of water or baby's. I also noticed that most of the nurses were coming to the physical therapist to get their back treated because of their long shifts at the hospital. We made posters to present and explain. One poster consisted of a list of some of the causes of back pain such as improper lifting, or daily activities they perform. The next poster listed ways to correct and improve their life-style in order to protect their back, and the last two had exercises to strengthen their core and back. Our first program was presented to the Musana womens group who are mostly HIV postive, single, and very poor. They make jewelry and sell it over the internet as their main source of income. It was a great success. They are all very excited to see us again this week and to continue working to strengthen their backs. Last thursday we presented the back program to 26 nurses at the hospital! i couldn't believe how many people showed up. It was quite intimidating being in front of so many educated women and telling them what to fix in their life. However, they were very excited and interested in what we had to say. It was a hit! I can't wait to start expanding the back program all over the villages here. Friday i went out to Naziga village again. When we got there at 12:30 in the afternoon, we were introduced to 25 patients who had been waiting there since 7 am for treatment for their backs. So we got started right away. Most of our patients had returned for therapy so it actually felt like we were making progress. Some of them demonstrated how they have been sitting up properly in bed, and how they lift things now. Even with the huge communication barrier, it feels like I'm actually getting to them. It finally feels like I'm making a difference in these people's lives : ) For lunch that day we were served rice with a lovely sauce that had little silver fishes all mixed in it. It honestly tasted like barfed up cat food. Not that I've had that before, but I'm pretty positive i know what it would taste like now.
Saturday we woke up bright and early to raft the nile. Yes, I have rafted the nile. Freakin awesome, I know. The route we took was a class 5. For those of you who are not familiar with white water rafting, a class 5 is the highest class most people raft in their lives. The levels go from 1 to 6. However, my guide who has been doing this for 10 years has never done a 6 before. Only crazy professionals attempt 6's. It was so amazing. we went through 7 rapids with a few water falls in between. Because the water was so high that day our guides were a little thrown off by the change in the rapids. We actually got stuck on a huge rock on the edge of this waterfall called "overtime." For a good 5 minutes we had to bounce and try to rock ourselves down this water fall. Somehow we didn't end up flipping on that one. The very last rapid was called "The Bad Place," (which is depicted in the picture) dun dun dun. Our guide reassured us about two minutes before we entered the rapid that he had only done it twice and no one ever makes it without flipping. So we charged forward and as soon as our guide screamed "Get the hell down!!!" i just remember the raft going straight up in the air and feeling bodies fall on top of me. then i was pushed way down into the dark nile abyss. when i opened my eyes i was under the water looking up at a bit of faint light. So i frantically swam hoping i was swimming to the surface. just as i was about to gasp for air i reached the surface. then i got pummeled by another wave and got pushed down again. Luckily i made it down the river alive. A kayaker came to my rescue and i was solid. In fact, everyone in our group made it out alive; only a few cuts and bruises later. I would totally do it again. It was one of the coolest most exciting adventure i have been on thus far. Later that evening a few of us went to the local pub for dinner and to watch the world cup game: USA vs England!! it was awesome. I was in the midst of people from all over the world watching the game and having a great time.
This week I'll be helping to coach the boys soccer team here. They are all street kids that have been given the opportunity to be on this team and find an outlet for their hard lives. I hope things are beautiful and happy back in the states. Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. "Get the Hell down!" hahaha! I am so glad you are alive you crazy girl! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, this is awesome! I am so glad you presented to my Musana women! It sounds like everything is going great! Tell everyone in Lugazi hi from me!

    ReplyDelete